The term two-way integration or bi-directional integration here relates to the use of issue managers to perform test case management operations on Test Collab without requiring you to login to Test Collab application.
Supported operations that can be performed from within the issue manager, include :
- Operations possible when you use a TestCollab administrator's API keyLinking existing TestCollab project with current issue manager's ProjectCreating new TestCollab project being in issue manager to link it with current projectLinking Existing test cases defined in TestCollab to an issue defined in issue manager
- Operations available for all Test Collab users, provided their respective roles permit them to do so:Adding a new test case and get it automatically linked with the current issue defined in issue managerEditing an already linked test caseViewing a test case detailsUnlinking a linked test case from the current issueDeleting a linked test caseAssign test cases to users who have permissions to execute test cases in TestCollab
If you have a running instance of Redmine ready with you and you have access to its files, you can easily add Test Collab two-way Integration plug-in to it.
Compressed Test Collab two-way Integration plug-in files for Redmine can be downloaded from Downloads page.
1. Once you have the plugin archive, then depending on the version of Redmine being used, you can extract the plug-in into :
For Redmine 1.x - /apps/redmine/htdocs/vendor/plugins
For Redmine 2 and above - /apps/redmine/htdocs/plugins
2. Restart Redmine.
Make sure your Redmine's hostname and path are correctly configured to the same URL which you type in your browser to access it.
Setting Host name and path
For this :
- Navigate to Administration page
- Select "Settings"
- On "General" tab of Settings page
- Set the value of "Host name and path" equal to the URL you use to access your Redmine application followed by /redmine (Please note that the URL should not be prefixed with http:// or https://)
For example, if you access your Redmine application at redmine.abc.com
then the value for "Host name and path" should be like redmine.abc.com/redmine
Configuring Test Collab plugin
Next is to setup the Test Collab plugin, for this :
- Navigate to Administration page
- Select "Plug-ins"
- Click on "Configure" option for the plug-in with the name "Test Collab"
- For "Enable Test Collab? " , select "Yes"
- For "Test Collab URL", enter the URL that is to be used to access Test Collab application for bidirectional integration from Redmine
Non Administrative Tasks
The tasks that can be performed by a Redmine user, who need not be an application administrator
Setting up Test Collab API key
To set up key to make calls to Test Collab API, select "My Account" from top menu.
On "My Account" page, enter the API key for the Test Collab application user whose credentials you want to use to perform test case management tasks on Test Collab from Redmine, you may like to refer "How to know Test Collab user's API Key".
How to know Test Collab user's API Key
Being logged into Test Collab, navigate to your profile. On profile page, you will find your API key, that can be used to access Test Collab.
Performing Test Case Management tasks
After setting up Test Collab plug-in and API key, you can start performing test case management related tasks.
If you are logged in as an administrator of Redmine application and if you have provided the API key for a Test Collab user who can act as an administrator, then you can either add a new Redmine project or use an existing project to "Enable" Test Collab for it.
Adding a Project in Test Collab
As an administrator, you also have an option to introduce a new project in Test Collab, that will have the same name as that of the Redmine Project. For this you can select "Create New" from the drop down next to "Linked Project".
Please note that all the tasks that have been described below can be performed on the basis of role that has been assigned to the user whose API key is used, for the Test Collab project linked into the current Redmine project.
Once Test Collab is enabled for a Redmine project, you will be able to perform all other test case management tasks. For this you can either use an existing Redmine issue or create a new one.
Once an issue is created or selected, you will see a new section at the bottom that will allow you to manage the linked Test Collab test cases, this section gives you option to either add new test case in Test Collab and link it automatically to Redmine issue, or link existing test cases.
If you are a Test Collab user who is assigned a role that permits to edit test cases in a project, then you can link existing testcases under that Test Collab project.
When you click on "Link Existing", a popup would come up and that will list all test suites that are present in linked Test Collab project.
You can expand individual test suite to select specific test cases
If you have selected the entire suite(s), all their related test cases will automatically get linked with Redmine issue.Otherwise individually selected test cases will be linked.
If you opt to add a new test case then you will get a popup to enter the details of new test case, the interface would be similar to the add page you see in Test Collab.
After saving, the new test case will be introduced in Test Collab application and will be automatically linked with the Redmine issue.
When one or more cases are linked with the Redmine issue, for each linked case you will get options like edit, unlink and delete.
Opting to edit will popup the related form.
Unlink will remove the test case from the list of linked test cases.
Deleting apart from unlinking from Redmine, will delete the test case from Test Collab as well.
Assigning Test Cases to Testers for Execution
Opting to "Execute Selected Tests", after selecting one or more linked test cases, will popup a window to first let you create a new Test Collab test execution and then assign the execution to the users who have the role in Test Collab project that allows them to execute a test.
Creating a New Test Execution
Test Collab user's API key can only be updated from My account page, this is not possible from user add or edit forms.